21 June 2014

Dying my hair blonde!

Dying any hair colour blonde can be a massive struggle due to the upkeep and expense however if blonde is a colour you want to be then I would say all the effort is worth it but before you go blonde make sure you really want to be blonde before you waste your money on salon trips and hair care products.

I now have blonde hair and it has been a long process of getting to where I am now and I still want to be blonder. I have been dying my hair for about over a year now but before that I would get highlights but not regularly. Now that I have had the experience of dying my hair blonde it is a pain but it is 100% worth it to me. Naturally I have ginger hair no offence to any other people with ginger hair but I didn't like it on me, on other people I think ginger hair looks nice but I like the look of blonde hair and thats the hair colour I wanted to have!

When I had my first appointment at the salon to begin the process I had an all over colour of ash blonde mixed with another blonde colour. The reason for the ash colour to be mixed with the blonde colour is that I needed the ash to counteract the redness in my hair. After the colour had been left on for an hour it was time to wash the colour off. The hairdresser dryed my hair and I wasn't completely impressed on the colour it came out with as I was expecting a bigger difference so highlights were put through the top to make it more blonde which then I was then happy with till my next appointment.

I was told I should be having my roots done every 4 weeks but that is hard for me as I only work on saturdays. I pay for the appointments myself as my mum didn't want me to dye my hair therefore the only way I was allowed to do it was if I paid for it myself. I leave my roots till I feel like they need to be done. As I still have bits of my natural hair colour running through my roots don't look bad but as the process goes on and my natural tones are not visible anymore I will have to start going on more regular trips to the salon otherwise I will look ridiculous!

The end result I am going for is white blonde and even though it will take me a while I am pleased with the hair colour I have now. When people first meet me they have no idea what my natural colour is and I look naturally blonde. I think that any of you's reading who may have ginger hair and are thinking of dying their hair for the first time I would recommend going to a professional hair dresser rather than buying dye from boots or superdrug as if it goes wrong there is nothing you can do to get your natural hair colour back quick and fast. Sometimes dyes from the shops can turn your hair green and that is not a good look so I would pay the money rather than ruining your hair. I'd have the biggest mood on if my hair went wrong and I had to go out with it! When I see people who have dyed their hair blonde by themselves I never see it looking nice it is often orange or yellow. A girl I work with brought the L'oreal hair dye that was on adverts that said would give you platinum blonde hair however it just turned the hair yellow.

When I go to my hair appointments I will have highlights and the amount I have will change. I will have them at the top or at the bottom to take out the natural tones or I will sometimes have them at the top and bottom depending on how much I need. I will then have ash colour all over. The hairdresser will then wash my hair with normal shampoo then re-shampoo the hair with a purple/blue shampoo which takes out the brassy tones. On two occasions the shampoo had been over used or left on for too long and some bits of my hair had turned slightly greyish blue but it can be washed out with a bleach cleanse.

If you do have naturally ginger hair like me and you want to dye your hair I would recommend dying your hair blonde rather than brown. I'm not telling you that you have to dye your hair blonde but it would be a lot easier as when you have dark hair and naturally lighter hair the roots are more visible therefore if you have ginger roots and brown hair it will look silly but with blonde hair it looks better and I'd say ginger is more on the blonde side than brown.

My hair is fairly long and I do not wear extensions even though I get asked if I wear them a lot which annoys me so much! I do not do anything special with my hair to keep it nice however I think it is looks looked after even though I do straighten and dry my hair often without a heat protectant. The only products I use on my hair to style it is the John Frieda 3 day straight from the frizz ease line. I absolutely love it for keeping my hair straight. The hair products I use when washing my hair are the Touch of Silver brightening shampoo and the L'oreal Elvive shampoo for dry and coloured hair. Even though I use heat products and dye my hair my hair is still nice and I don't think I need a huge amount of hair care products to make it look nice but if you have any recommendations please leave them below.

I have some things for you to think about to help you decide if you want to dye your hair or not
  • Do you have the money every 4-8 weeks to get your roots done?
  • Go to a hairdresser you trust and who is good as you don't want it to go wrong!
  • Do you have time to spend hours at the salon to get your hair done?
  • If you like your hair colour but want a change make sure you do because it is expensive
  • Buy blue/silver shampoo to care for your colour between appointments
  • Colour will irritate your scalp, it itches so prepare yourself for 10 minutes of itching

Dying your hair to blonde will take a long time depending on your natural hair colour. If this is what you want to do then I say good luck! I sometimes get asked if i regret starting the process because of the upkeep and the cost but I say no as I love my blonde hair. I am also high maintenanced so I don't mind my trip to the hairdressers.

Did you find this helpful? I hope so. Please comment below if so!
Louise x 

SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for leaving a comment. I read and appreciate every single one. I'd love to hear you thoughts and opinions and I will reply!

Blogger Template Created by pipdig