26 August 2016

My Interview Tips For Beginners

So I have had three interviews and I am still a beginner however I feel that I have improved so much and I have (sort of) mastered them (on a basic level)!

I'm sure we have all been there with the bad, awkward first interview for a full time job... or is that just me? I did not prepare so I had no idea what to say when it came to answering about 10 questions on the spot. My older self kicks my younger self... I could have saved myself from the embarrassment, but it's safe to say that the job just was not for me. So here are my tips to hopefully prepare you for a perfect interview!

Prepare Prepare Prepare!

There's nothing more important than this. Think carefully about what you are going to say. Google some popular questions for the sector you are interested in. Think about how all your skills and experience you have gained links to the job role. Once you have researched these questions you hold everything you want in your head to show your real ability and nothing will be forgotten! I wouldn't advise learning a script let it flow!

Research about the company!

It is a bit annoying when you research about the company and the interviewers tell you about the company anyway. Except on my third interview they actually asked me so I am glad I thought about everything I wanted to say. So don't just give the basic history of the company obviously they know that. Think about the values of the company, their goals and what you can bring to meet the standards of the company.

Dress smart!

If you are like me and you like to doll yourself up every morning it might give you more confidence. Wearing formal clothes will allow you to feel grown up and feel nice. At the end of the day, they will be judging you on your appearance no matter what.

Greet the interviewers!

It is important to smile when you walk into the interview room as well as shake the hands of your interviewers, this just helps break the ice.

Think before you speak!

You don't need to rush into your answer, take a few seconds to think about what you want to say instead of avoiding the awkward "ummm". Don't be scared to ask them to repeat the question and elaborate if you are stuck. If you are still unsure then just talk about your skills on a key word they may have said.

Be confident and have fun!

It's easier said than done but make sure you are confident. If you're not then fake it! Just think, you'll be talking to these people for max 30 minutes and then its over! And for fun I mean show your personality and maybe crack some (appropriate) jokes!

Thank you for reading my interview tips and I hope they help you for your next interview or maybe your first! These are just from what I have experienced so I am not a professional. So if you are applying for a job for a high up professional job then maybe take these tips on board and also search somewhere else haha! These interview tips could help you for college, apprenticeships and university or even your job.

Louise x

4 comments :

  1. Hi Louise, great tips! Dress too impress, always work! Iga x http://www.igaberry.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great tips! Totally agree about reading up on the company before hand, I hate it when I put in so much effort for that question and then the interviewer doesn't ask haha. Would love if you could check out my new post? X

    The Fashion Road.com
    Instagram @louisefrancescaa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great tips! I'm still so awkward when it comes to interviews even though I've had so many! I always come out with this weird posh interview voice which is so embarrassing haha! I completely agree its so annoying when you've actually done so much research about the company and then they just tell you everything! I'll definitely give this a read when I next have an interview to chill me out a bit :)

    Char :) xx
    http://hobbitshairdye.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your nice comment! Good luck on your next interview and I hope you smash it! xx

      Delete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment. I read and appreciate every single one. I reply to as many as I can as I love to have a chat with my readers about the topics I choose to discuss on my blog. Any comments that are inappropriate will be deleted as I like to keep my blog positive.